Choosing the best divorce lawyers in Baton Rouge can be a difficult decision. With countless law firms in the area specializing in family law, you have to make sure you pick the right one to help you achieve positive results. You want a legal expert, like the lawyers at Mayeux Law Baton Rouge, who is committed to your case and listens to your needs. Moreover, you want a professional who moves your case forward to a conclusion.
Whether you’re planning an adoption, battling custody and support issues, or undergoing a divorce, picking the right law firm can ease your mind that you’re on the right track. Besides, your family attorney will be your partner throughout the entire process, guiding you to obtain the outcome you want according to the law.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right family lawyer for your case:
Look for Expertise and Experience
Not long ago, many lawyers handled all manner of cases – from real estate to personal injury and divorce. Nowadays, more and more lawyers are limiting their practice to particular areas, such as family law. For instance, you would not want to go to a general practitioner for heart surgery. The same goes for lawyers. You want to seek the help of a family law attorney, not a DUI attorney if you need a divorce.
If you’re getting married and planning to sign a prenuptial agreement with your future spouse, check out Mayeux Law prenuptial attorneys. They are reputable family lawyers who have had numerous successes in the family law cases they handled.
Talk to Prospective Lawyers with your Needs in Mind
When you contact your potential attorneys, be as clear as you want about what you’re looking for. Most lawyers will agree to talk with clients for free to see if they’re “fit” for one another. While “interviewing” them, remember the following issues:
- Are they willing to work with your budget? You don’t need the most expensive attorney in town to guarantee favorable outcomes. So, don’t hesitate to discuss money because you don’t want to drain your bank account. In fact, lawyers are used to talking about money matters.
- Are they readily accessible when you need them? Ask them about how you can contact them and how long they can get back to you. You don’t need an attorney who always delays what’s needs to be done about your case.
- Essentially, do your personalities match? Keep in mind that no matter how experienced an attorney is, the process will be difficult for both of you if you don’t get along well.
Find a Lawyer you Can Work with
There are times when you need to confide embarrassing and sensitive matters to your attorney. So, it’s crucial that you are comfortable with them and that they are trustworthy and credible. Also, see to it that they will let you understand how the process works clearly and accurately.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does my lawyer have experience handling cases like mine?
- Do they answer my questions accurately and clearly?
- Do I feel like I can trust my attorney?
Settlement and Litigation
While many family cases can be settled outside the court, some don’t. Hire a lawyer who is comfortable in both settlement negotiations and litigations in the courtroom. Ask your potential attorney what experience and training he/she had about mediation, family law negotiations, and collaborative law. Ask them what they would do if attempts at settlement fail.